02 March, 2011

Moments of Brilliance

Every once in a while, I think I have moments of brilliance.  Those wonderful "ah-ha" moments where I think, maybe I actually have a brain. More often than not, they are quickly followed by a sharp reminder that again, a brain functioning on under 2 hours of sleep a night is not functioning at all. Ok, so I usually do get more sleep than that, just not lately. My silence as of late has everything to do with my lack of brain function. Every time I get an "ah-ha" moment of something to post, a child pees on the carpet, dinner is burning or I just can't keep my eye's open to go write it down. Twenty minutes later, I have either forgotten my wonderful brilliant thought, or it has lost all of it's brilliance as I clean up another bodily fluid that's not my own.
Today I had another moment where I thought I was brilliant...well maybe not brilliant, but at least pretty clever.   I had the idea of encouraging my son's growth by having him start clearing the table as his new "contribution" instead of setting it. After a few reminders, I stood there watching him clear the table, proud of myself for my initiative. Not more than twenty seconds later, I was chastising myself for my premature celebration. There was my son, holding his sister's plate upside down, licking every last drop of ketchup from the surface. This is one "brilliant" idea that might come back to bite me on more than one occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment