25 March, 2011

My "Shut Up" Light

More often than not, in my conversations, I spend more time talking than listening. It is one of the things I despise about myself. Many conversations have been spent with me rattling off and not taking the time to listen to the other person. This in no way is the way I want things to be though. I actually have to coach my self to stop and listen, ask questions and to SHUT UP! Unfortunately, I don't often follow my own coaching. It is like there is a Shut Up light blinking in my head saying "warning stop talking now if you care about this person". But for some reason, I don't stop. I keep talking. Ninety percent of my conversations, I recount in my head with guilt for not shutting up more. It is something I am determined to overcome. My sister is one of the people that I have the hardest time with. She keeps asking questions and before I know it I've spent most the time talking because I am answering them. I leave the conversation burdened, wondering about her and how she is doing.
Tonight, I have no regrets. I asked questions, I listened and I shut up. My shoulders feel lighter. I fell like walking on air. I don't have to carry the usual burden of guilt of being a blabber mouth to my pillow. There is hope, even for me. Here is to many more conversations where I heed my "Shut Up" light and listen.

2 comments:

  1. Oh!!! Was it our conversation??? Cause It was SO good to talk to you :D I always look forward to receiving or returning your phone calls! Learning to listen is very important. Something I think everyone has to conquer daily. Love you SOOO Much!!!!
    Kt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, one of them. I had a great time talking to you too. I miss our evening conversations.

    ReplyDelete