15 March, 2011

But Why Daddy?

On my walk this morning, I found myself basking in the beauty around me. The air was cool and clean from the rain earlier, the sky was a wonderful deep blue above and warm and yellow ahead as the sun peaked over the houses and mountains. All around me signs of spring were calling me. Daffodils and tulips were bobbing their heads under the weight of the sparkling dew and the trees were adorning themselves in different shades of pink and white blossoms. It is mornings like this that I am in awe of my Maker and all that He has done.
Then like a brick wall, images of what is happening in the world came smashing into my mind. I saw the images of the tsunami tearing through towns in Japan, whole buildings floating down the street. My heart cried out. How could the same God that I worship and adore, the one who created the blossoms and causes the sun to rise be the same God that allows people's whole worlds to be destroyed? How can his creation be so beautiful and so terrible at the same time? Then just like my two-year old daughter, I looked up at my Father and asked why. And He answered, through my daughter.
You see, my daughter's latest thing is to ask why for everything. "Sweetie, I need to change your diaper." "Why". "Because it will give your bottom owies if I don't. "Why?" "Because poop hurts our bottoms if it sits on it to long" "Why?" "Because it is dirty." "Why?"...... and so it will go on until she is distracted by something else. It does not matter how good my answer is, she still asks why after. I don't believe it is a game, she is genuinely curios about the answer, but the truth is, no matter what answer she gets, she will still ask why. I also know that there are some answers her brain are not mature enough to understand. "Well sweetie, the ph imbalance will cause a break down of your skin and the bacteria in your fecal matter can cause infection... " isn't really a response a two year old is ready to tackle.  Not to mention, I would still get the same response, "why". The problem is not my answer, it is just where she is at developmentally.
I am no different. I ask God, why expecting to be able to comprehend His answer. But the truth is that no matter what answer He gave, I would still respond with "but why".  I have come to understand that I can not claim to understand God, and I am ok with that. It is almost freeing. Knowing that God is bigger than I am, knows more than I do, is more powerful than I am is actually very liberating. I am at peace not having all the answers. Because I know that He does have the answers, and even if He gave them to me, there is no guarantee that I would be ready to hear them and understand. So just like my daughter, I will still ask why, turning to my Father hoping for an answer I can understand. And just like her I will be ok not understanding everything, because I know that my Father does know and that is what is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment