17 April, 2011

My Dear Friend Guadalupe

My dear friend Guadalupe saved us from what seemed like sure drowning. I don't know what it is, but once your kids reach two, every project they will ever do again involves paper. Paper planes, paper trees, paper wind sox, paper kites, paper clouds..... paintings on paper, drawings on paper, handprints on paper.... A fridge can only hold so much. What is a mom too do? I was up to my eyeballs in "beautiful" pieces of artwork that my children adored. 
I made the fatal mistake once of throwing a piece away in front of my son... "That's mine, " he said as he ran screaming towards me as if I was throwing a piece of him away. I've also thrown it away (recycled it) at night when he was sleeping. Inevitably, he remembers his handiwork and asks me where it was.
That is where my dear friend Guadalupe comes in. I now tell my children that we have so many beautiful pieces of artwork that we must share them. Our friend Guadalupe would love us to share them with her. They are usually fine knowing that their artwork is being appreciated by someone, I am happy to have it out of my way, and the world is a more peaceful place for all.... that is until they one day realize that Guadalupe is the name of our local landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment