09 April, 2011

Cranberry Orange Bread

My husband's schedule has changed, leaving me alone more evenings during the week. The result: an incessant need to bake. Although I had already made macaroons and german chocolate cake the day before, I needed to make something for a girls night I was having with a close friend. For some reason I could not get cranberry orange bread off my mind.
In usual fashion, I looked up multiple recipes and printed two. Then I took out a piece of paper and forgot to look at those recipes as I wrote my plan down. The result was fabulous. A moist, tender, full flavor bread that begs to be made again and again.

Cranberry Orange Bread
Makes one large loaf or three small
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbs softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup yogurt
3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup orange juice
2 Tbs orange zest
2 eggs
1 cup dried cranberries

Presoak dried cranberries in 1/2 cup of orange juice for 2 to 3 hours. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder in bowl and set aside. Combine orange juice, orange zest and yogurt and set aside. In mixer, cream butter and sugar. Add in eggs and continue to beat. Add flour mixture and yogurt mixture alternately on low until just combined. Stir in cranberries. Pour into greased pans and bake 30-35 minutes for small loafs and 50-55 minutes for large loaf.
Let cool completely and wrap with plastic wrap to maintain moistness.

1 comment:

  1. This bread is almost like a pound cake, for muffins or a slightly less dense bread use only one egg.

    ReplyDelete