06 June, 2011

Chocolate Frozen Yogurt

My heater is on, I'm in long sleeves, pants and sox, and the sky is cloudy, but dog on it, it is June and I wanted to make frozen yogurt. Ever since I started buying whole milk plain yogurt, the frozen treat has been beckoning me. Today, I gave in and decided to go for it, winter weather and all.
I was not planning on making chocolate, but in a moment of brief insanity, I asked my son what he wanted. And just like his mama would have said at his age, chocolate was the flavor of choice. I actually wanted strawberry, which I will have to make another day. I started by looking at two recipes on line, but didn't like the sound of either. They used either to much milk, heavy cream or to many eggs. What's a girl to do? Throw out the recipe's and play of course. The result is a tart, creamy and very chocolaty frozen yogurt that is begging for fresh raspberries and whipped cream.

Chocolate Frozen Yogurt
1/2 cup milk
2 Tbs cocoa (heaping)
2/3 cup sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips ( preferably a higher quality like Trader Joe's)
1 egg yolk, whisked
2 1/2 cups whole plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla

Heat milk in heavy saucepan over medium heat, whisk in cocoa and sugar until smooth. Add chocolate and whisk till smooth. Add two to three table spoons of hot chocolate mixture to egg and whisk to temper. Add egg to chocolate and whisk. Remove from heat. Fold chocolate mixture and vanilla into yogurt. Refrigerate till cool, approximately 1 hour. Pour chocolate yogurt into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's instructions. Store in freezer in an air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment