18 February, 2012

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough (Slow Rise)

Last summer, my brother introduced me to the wonders of grilled pizzas. It is sooo good, but as I made the pizzas more, I began to feel guilty for buying dough that "should be easy" to make. Ha... ha...hmm. But remember, I am the one with the yeast phobia. I even compared working with yeast to a game of Russian Roulette with all chambers but one loaded.
Well, I have since grown past my fear of yeast, and have in the process, learned to even respect it. It has not been without a fight, but, the results have been worth it, and I am glad I persevered.
This pizza dough has been a victory I have cherished. The two keys to this dough, are that it is a slow rise, which gives the yeast more time to do it's magic and I used a white whole wheat flour which is less dense and lighter in flavor. Just incase you didn't catch that, because it is a slow rise, it will taste better if it is given at least a day before using. It will still work the same day, but the taste is better when the yeast has time to break down the glutens.  So, without further rambling...

Whole Wheat Pizza Dough 
(adapted from the Fresh Loaf)

5 cups white whole wheat flour ( I get mine from Trader Joe's)
1 1/2 Tbs Honey
2 tsp Salt
1 3/4 yeast
2 1/2 Tbs  olive oil
2 to 2 1/4 cups warm water

Pour water and honey into large bowl. Stir till honey is devolved. Sprinkle yeast over water mixture and let stand for 3-5 minutes (if the yeast has not started to grow or get frothy, then it is no longer active, and you will need new yeast). Add remaining ingredients and stir vigorously until well combined. Let set for 5 minutes and then stir again for another 3-5 minutes (I just used my hand) . You may need to add more water or flour, the dough should be wet, but not stick to the sides of the bowl. The dough makes four 10 inch pizzas or two larger ones (not sure how big, because I haven't tried it yet).

There are three options here...

1. Let sit and rise for an hour and then use.
2. Divide and place in oiled ziplock bags in the fridge for 1-3 days before use. Just remove from fridge and allow to warm to room temperature for 1-2 hours before using.
3. Divide and place in oiled ziplock bags in the freezer. Just place in the fridge the night before and then remove from fridge to allow to warm to room temperature for 1-2 hours before baking.

No comments:

Post a Comment